[Avodah] Avodat HaMidot

Shoshana L. Boublil toramada at bezeqint.net
Sat Jun 23 13:43:17 PDT 2012

R' Micha Berger writes [to Areivim]:
> It also incredibly strengthens my "Watering the Weeds" essay /
> diatribe <http://www.aishdas.org/asp/WateringTheWeeds.pdf> in which I
> argue that if our community isn't statistically showing better
> morality and ethics than parallel populations who follow something
> other than the Emes, it shows that not enough of us are doing Torah
> right. And then I invoke Rava, the Gra and Nefesh haChaim who point to
> what it is we could be doing wrong -- despite our meticulous observance.

Thank you for a wonderful article.

At this point, I must add that I think that the source of my response
and reaction is the fact that I live in Eretz Yisrael. Rav Tau wrote a
book called "Nossei Alumotav" on the importance of agriculture in Israel
as part of our Avodat Hashem.

I found RMB's continual usage of agricultural metaphors to illustrate
what he wishes to express, to completely compliment this book.

Recently, when I spoke of Achdut Yisrael someone disparaged the idea as
though it had no value. But following the line of thought presented in R'
Micha's article and the view of Rav Tau and Rav Kook on the importance
of agriculture with regard to the connection between Jews and Torah and
"right living" I would like to bring up a different view of the idea of
Hitbodedut - to go alone to a forest or a desert to meditate on one's
life and situation and attempt to become closer to Hashem.

In the past I always understood the focus of the exercise to be the
individual. They go to the forest or desert to be alone with their
thoughts and Hashem.

But I have since come to realize that this may not be completely true.

When walking through a forest (or desert), a person may do so in two ways:

The first path takes the person into himself, he completely ignores the
world Hashem gave us and the forest he is walking through. The only things
he can learn are what he has already learned - including his mistakes.

The second path leads him to start paying attention to his surroundings.
The path through the forest is soft with leaves and residue of the animals
and vegetation that live in the forest. The trees are surrounded by vines
that lean on them, without the trees, they could not survive. Various
plants grow in the shade of the trees, their existence there the result
of birds who flew through the forest, some staying long enough to build
nests and grow their young. Wolves and other animals roam the forest,
living off the vegetation and other animals. Insects biodegrade the
wastes to create fertilizer for the plants and trees. The trees generate
oxygen. The ground, that is covered in leaves and other remains, acts
as a "water safe" by storing water thus enabling the trees and plants to
survive when there is no rain. The only reason that the forest survives
- is b/c disparate groups, with different needs, abilities, gifts and
lives act on each other and react to each other - no one can survive
alone! While the balance that makes up the forest can be viewed as harsh
and unforgiving, it is also supportive of life and growth.

If walking through the forest you do not see Hashem's gifts, you cannot
grow. But if you see and understand that we are not alone. That we are
supposed to work together, as different as we are, yet accepting of each
other (under Torah) - then you may come back from your Hitbodedut ready
to become a healthy, giving part of your community.

This explains why when studying Torah you are NOT supposed to talk about
the trees: you are not paying attention to the Torah you are learning -
nor are you able to learn the lessons of the nature Hashem gave. You
are worshipping yourself and your personal view of the world. We know
the punishment for Avodah Zara.

I find it interesting that the word "Avodah" has 3 meanings: Avodah -
VeAdam Ayin La'avod Et HaAdama - agriculture; Avodah - Avodat HaKorbanot
and lastly Avodah - Tefilla.

All three are methods by which we are supposed to become closer to Hashem.

Thank you R' Micha.

Shoshana L. Boublil

[P.S. desert: can be created by desertification by which mankind
destroys the nature Hashem created; or by climate change, in which
case the desert is not at all empty, see the Bedouin who live in the
desert. The importance of partnerships is illustrated to Eliyahu HaNavi
by the Orvim who bring him food - he cannot live alone!]