[Avodah] parshat shlach

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:18:05 PDT 2012

some words from Rabbi Greenberg - RY of Kerem BeYavneh
>From Em Habanomn Semechah: Rav Sonnenfeld would scold (mochiach) someone
would speak against the chalutzim and claimed that the land would bring
them back to religion. The 16th of Elul is Taanait Tzaddikim because that
is when the spies died. Magan Avraham asks that we should celebrate the
death of reshaim. The Shlah answers that the spies were tzaddikim and so we
see that even the righteous can be spies (others explain that the spies
didn't want to go to EY because they felt that the miraculous life in the
desert was better than normal life in EY)
Rav Yitzchak Elchanan advocated buying of land in EY and working the land.
He writes that thank G-d that new groups appear in our nation that advance
the yishuv through working the land and young people who are want to
benefit from the work of their hands and it should bring our return to the
holy land that was taken from us 2000 years ago. He further writes in
another letter about the group in Kovna established to buy land and settle
in EY and pushes that everyone should participate.
The Admor from Pilov writes that EY is described as "eretz chemda" and so
one who leaves this out from birchat hamazon is not yotzeh. So anyone who
denigrates EY and doesnt realize its benefits doesnt consider it "chemds"
and is not yotze birchat hamazon.

--
Eli Turkel