[Avodah] aveilus

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 02:09:43 PDT 2012

<<"Yes, but how do you understand the lack of aveilus for an infant who
dies before 30 days? "

As long as we're asking, how do you understand only shloshim for a spouse?

The usual explanation is that aveilus for parents is 1 year because of
kibud av ve-em, not because the
loss is greater than that of a spouse or a child. Similarly a baby under 30
days is considered a still-born
and thus no aveilus, it has nothing to do with the pain involved.

There was a case recently in my community of a couple who had triplets and
one died I believe after more than 30 days and the parents were told not to
sit shiva. However, I dont have all the facts, but obviously all the
infants were born early and in danger from birth.

--
Eli Turkel