[Avodah] Esther [was: Strengthening Our Belief in Hashem and His Beautiful Torah]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu May 24 21:03:30 PDT 2012

From: Micha Berger _micha at aishdas.org_ (mailto:micha at aishdas.org)

>>Strengthening Our Belief in Hashem and His Beautiful  Torah
by Rabbi Chaim Jachter

[snip]
Rav Yoel Bin Nun on Megillat  Esther

One may wonder why so many intelligent people are not convinced of  the
truth of Hashem and Torah. ...
Rav Yoel notes that the Megillat Esther  at first glance seems quite
secular. For
example, it contains no mention of  God and even seems to deliberately
omit mentioning Hashem's name (see, for  example, Esther 4:14-16). Rav
Yoel explains that one has to look behind the  superficial presentation
of events in Megillat Esther to discover Hashem,  such as why Esther
among all the beautiful women of the Persian Empire was  chosen as queen,
why Mordechai foiled a plot to kill Achashveirosh, and why  Achashveirosh
was sleepless and reading about Mordechai's actions the night  that Haman
came to ask permission to execute Mordechai.

Similarly, the  world functions today as it is depicted in Megillat
Esther. Hashem has placed  a secular veneer upon the world and we must
use our common sense to peel back  this secular layer in order to be able
to find  Hashem.....<<

The series of coincidences in Meg. Esther do of course point to the
existence of Hashem, orchestrating events "behind the lattice wall."  So  much is
a truism.

I would like to add though that there is one place where belief in Hashem
is so obviously alluded to that it is /almost/ overt:  when Esther asks all
the Jews to fast for three days and adds that she herself and her maids
will  also fast.  Other than a religious reason, there is no conceivable
secular  reason for everyone, or anyone, to fast.

--Toby  Katz
Romney -- good  values, good family, good  hair