[Avodah] Yerushalayim Banerot

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Tue May 22 08:50:55 PDT 2012

My brother-in-law said the following at a simcha yesterday evening:
Zephania 1:12 says "ahapes et Yerushalaim banerot", and the gematria
of "nerot" is equal to the number of times in which Jerusalem is
mentioned in the Bible.

A cute vort if you like that kind of thing, and I am probably spoiling
it by checking up, but it doesn't seem to fit the facts.

The gematria of "nerot" is 656

Even Shoshan's concordance gives "Yerushalaim" 641 times and
"Yerushlem" in the Aramaic sections 26 times for a total of 667.

BDB gives 644 and 25 for a total of 669.

"egrep -o ixeyli*[mn] | wc -l" in a text file that I downloaded years
ago from the Hebrew U with all of Tanach in "hebrew oldcode" (does
anybody else remember that?) also gives 669.

Googling I found a couple of sites that say that Jerusalem is
mentioned 656 times, with or without the gematria, but no more
details.

Does anybody have more info, especially some kvetch to make the
gematria fit the total?