[Avodah] IDF melting pot

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:17:48 PDT 2012

<< On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:09:56AM -0400, Samuel Svarc wrote:
: RHS ignored the Israeli reality that not learning in Kollel means joining
: the army. I can't speak for the RY in question, but setting up the
question
: as one of a) learning full time b) being an eved Hashem ignores the
reality
: of IDF, an institution that was setup and is being perpetuated as a
melting
: pot.

The IDF has separate units for much of hesder, charedi nachal and many
other types of special purpose units.

Besides even the melting pot theory means that soldiers should meet other
types of people, has nothing to do with being less religious.
However, as a practical matter I would avoid being the only religious
soldier in a unit. This is one of the advantages of being in hesder that
one is togther with many other religious soldiers.

--
Eli Turkel