[Avodah] Parshas Tazria: Rav Shamshon Rephael Hirsch - When The Whole World Goes White [Again]

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue May 1 08:09:45 PDT 2012

At 02:25 AM 5/1/2012, Akiva Blum wrote:
>>----------
>>If white is the color of purity,  then why do so many Orthodox men
>>wear black, and why do I see a trend amongst  observant women to
>>favor wearing black over clothing of other colors?  YL
>
>Same reason that in all the pictures I have seen of RSRH, he himself
>wore black.

I took a look at the pictures of RSRH in R. Klugman's bio of him
RSRH.  In the picture on the inside cover page he appears to be
wearing grey. In the picture on page 233 he is wearing a jacket that
is "checked" with grey and white.  In the picture on page 287 he
appears to be wearing black, but it is hard to tell because it looks
as though the picture has faded.

In any event,  he is not wearing white in any of these pictures. YL