[Avodah] Rav Shamshon Rephael Hirsch - When The Whole World Goes White

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Apr 30 16:52:12 PDT 2012

>R. Micha wrote
>
>On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 03:52:32PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> > If white is the color of purity,  then why do so many Orthodox men
>wear
> > black, and why do I see a trend amongst  observant women to favor
>wearing
> > black over clothing of other colors?  YL
>
>OTOH, black is the color of tzeni'us (for simple physics reasons -- dark
>doesn't catch the eye) and fighting the YhR. Judging from the Rambam's
>invocation WRT teshuvah, there are two sides of the same coin. See
>Rambam
>Hil' Eidus 12:9.
>
>It appears to be a tool for anonymity - the "besokh ami anokhi yoshaves"
>of tzeni'us.
>
>MQ 17a:
>     If someone sees that his yeitzer of overpowering him? What should he
>     do? He should wear black, cover himself in black, go to a place
>where
>     they do not recognize him, and he should do what his heart desires.
>
>The Ritva RH 16b asks how the gemara could possibly let someone sin. He
>quotes "mori", who I think in this instance is the Rashba (the other
>likely candidate if the Ra'ah), who says this is not about a yeitzer to
>do an actual cheit, but one who would do something permissable and if
>recognized, would cause a chilul Hashem.
There is a disagreement regarding whether white is a color or not and
whether black is a color or not.  See http://tinyurl.com/c9rlkfz

I do not agree with you that black doesn't catch the eye.  On a
bright sunny day black stands out to me whereas white does not.  Of
course, on a pitch black night, white stands out.  So, It all depends
on the environment.

"MQ 17a:
>     If someone sees that his yeitzer of overpowering him? What should he
>     do? He should wear black, cover himself in black, go to a place
>where
>     they do not recognize him, and he should do what his heart desires.

To me this argues against wearing black, because it is a color that
"indicates" that one is going to do something he should not or that
is not appropriate for him to do.

It reminds me the story about Reb Chaim of Brisk who was asked why he
does not wear a gartel.  He purportedly replied,  "When a sefer Torah
is posul, the gartel is put on the outside!"

At least amongst the Sefardim men wore colored clothing.  The
following is from
"<http://personal.stevens.edu/%7Ellevine/jp/Ezra%20Stiles%20And%20The%20Jews%20Of%20Newport.pdf>Ezra
Stiles and the Jews of Newport" Glimpses Into American Jewish
History  Part 59 The Jewish Press,  February 5, 2010, pages 31 & 80.

In a diary entry dated April 8, [1773] Dr. Stiles provides us with a
fascinating
description of the appearance of Rabbi Karigal. Below is a direct quote that
preserves his spelling, grammar and syntax.

The Rabbi's Dress or Aparrel: Common English Shoes,
black leather, Silver flowered Buckles, White Stockings. His
general Habit was Turkish. A green Silk Vest or long under
Garment reaching down more than half way the Legs or within 3
Inches of the Ankles, the ends of the Sleeves of this Vest
appeared on the Wrists in a foliage Turn-up of 3 inches, & the
Opening little larger than that the hand might pass freely. A Girdle
or Sash of different Colors red and green girt the Vest around his
Body. It appeared not to be open at the bottom but to come down
like a petticoat; and no Breeches could be discovered. This Vest
Vest of Calico, besides other Jewish Talismans. Upon the vest first
mentioned was a scarlet outer Garment of Cloth, one side of it
was Blue, the outside scarlet; it reached down about an Inch
lower than the Vest, or near the Ankles. It was open before, no
range of Buttons &c. along the Edge, but like a Scholars Gown in
the Body but plain and without many gatherings at the Neck, the
sleeves strait or narrow and slit open 4 or 5 Inches at the End, and
turned up with a blue silk Quarter Cuff, higher up than at the End
of the sleeve of the Vest. When he came into the Synoguge he put
over all, the usual Alb or white Surplice, which was like that of
other Jews, except that its Edge was striped with Blue straiks,
and had more Fringe. He had a White Cravat round his Neck. He
had a long black Beard, the upper Lip partly shaven-his Head
shaved all over. On his Head a high Fur [Sable] Cap, exactly like
a Woman's Muff, and about 9 or 10 Inches high, the Aperture
atop was closed with green cloth. He behaved modestly and
reverently