[Avodah] Theoretical and Real Shiurim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 3 12:06:31 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 09:31:19PM -0400, R Moshe Y. Gluck wrote to
Areivim:
: So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the CI would
: measure the matzah by stretching his hand out. Exactly. :-)

(The smiley makes no sense without context, but...)

As already discussed to death repeatedly on Avodah, the CC did not
measure out his own shiurim at the seder. I spoke to the yarshan of the
kos the CC used for the sedarim. Just under 3.5 oz. Compare that to the
BH 271:13 about doubling measurements, where he says you're yotzei with
one, but preferably...

This was among R' Seth Mandel's examples set to show that the MB discussed
theory, and its primary author tended to follow minhag Litta even when
different.

Which leads me to ask... Do we know if the CI followed his own shiurim
lemaaseh, or did he measure matzah by thinking "well, that's certainly
at least as much as my father" -- the Kosover Rav -- "would have eaten"?
Was he more of a textualist than the CC?

Micha Berger             Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
micha at aishdas.org        In that space is our power to choose our
http://www.aishdas.org   response. In our response lies our growth
Fax: (270) 514-1507      and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)