[Avodah] ret: costa concordia - and Specialization

David Wacholder dwacholder at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 21:10:35 PDT 2012

   1. Sabbath Desecration for Pikuach Nefesh classically applies only to
   the endangered Yisrael, not to the non-Jewish populace. Notwithstanding the
   paucity  of sources in support, we know that Vaa Ha'arba Aratzos  Committee
   of Four Lands made a major exception. Where the region has only a Jewish
   Midwife - she must serve even calls coming clearly from non-Jews. This
   ruling came without previous  documentary support, with a view  to stop a
   new pogrom or similar from developing.
   2.  To this day, those with duty - midwives and  doctors - should serve
   all of humanity even on Sabbath. Mishnah Berurah's objections lead to a
   discussion of the specific Mechaber and Sefer.  All other decisors
   considered the "Takanah" even more valid and effective today than it was at
   the time of the original ruling.
   3. The midwife, based on licensing and specific designation - MUST take
   care of the patients, where required by law.
   4. Perhaps the Captain knew he was incapacitated and therefore "claimed"
   the status of a passenger.  Were there other officers to replace him?
   5. ==
   6. Many sforim dealt with war and soldiers' duty to each other at risk
   of their own life, and doctrine may have changed over the years.
   7.
   8. ==
   9. In the Chazal times there were very small towns and a sick person, or
   a Kallah or Hashem forfend... need of burial etc. Once the cities grew -
   and daily in the bigger cities there is a funeral, and on Lag B'ormer 20
   crews from one band is not sufficient.
   10. The system becomes specialization. Rules of many sorts govern who
   can handle a corpse and where they can be buried. The classic Rabi Akiva
   Meis Mitzvah case becomes rare.
   11. On a 12 hour flight, with the "Fasten Your Seat Belt" sign, and no
   special license, I am tied down from even knowing precisely when the Meis
   was put onto the plane, which meis it was etc. Certainly - except Tehillim
   - there was no physical connection  with the Meis.  It was a  lot more
   disconnected than a Shabbos where I could have looked to make sure no new
   developments occurred. Except putting on Tephillin, should I have made
   Brachot etc?
   12. Conversely, assuming Rabbi Z of Queens NY who handles and organizes
   all Taharos in a vast territory,  the Mitzvah is mutal - obligated with
   specificity onto that person or group or those llcensed.
   13. Commanding Officer on a vast ship began his stewardship of the trip,
   and it is his until some rescue ship outranks him and orders him off.
   14.

--
David Wacholder
Cell: 917-742-7838