[Avodah] why do we Kasher Counter-tops

David Wacholder dwacholder at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 13:00:30 PDT 2012

   1. Commercial kitchens use metal countertops. Those can be Kashered
   without damage multiple times. .
   2. Most domestic counters have glued on plastic covering, which will
   melt on top or in the glue underneath. Brightly colored  counters - with
   possible exception of solid  granite  - will  not be the same after
   agressive Hag'ala with boiling water,. . Generally - if it is made to be
   exposed to fire - you are safe.
   3. Of course there is a lot room for leniency "ex post facto" .
   4. ===
   5. If it were technically feasible and safe we would do it.  In my house
   - countertops are "Mr. Clean"ed and then covered with a thick cover.

David Wacholder
Cell: 917-742-7838
Email: dwacholder at gmail.com
dwacholder at optonline.net