[Avodah] Haneiros Halallu - Important note

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Dec 19 13:42:20 PST 2011

R' Yitzchok Levine wrote:

> The Magen Avraham (Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chayim 676, seif katan
> 2) writes that one recites 36 words in Haneiros Halallu
> (corresponding to the 36 neiros, excluding the shamesh, lit on
> Chanukah).  In most editions of the Siddur that we know of, the
> Nusach contains more than 36 words.  A copy of the published
> nusach of the prayer consisting of exactly 36 words, which is
> found in the Siddur Rashban, is available at the following link:
> http://tinyurl.com/33uv5d

In the snippet that RAL linked to, the paragraph is titled "Haneros Halalu", and it refers to "36 words in Haneros Halalu". Yet when the actual text to be recited is given, both occurences of that phrase clearly appear as "Neros Halalu", without the initial Heh. I find this curious for some reason.

I also note that the author there points out that in order to reach the exact count of 36, one must not count the first two words. In other words, one must not count the first "Neros Halalu", but the second "Neros Halalu" must be included.

Machtzis Hashekel 676:3 and Kaf Hachayim 676:28 both say that Haneros Halalu contains exactly 36 words excluding *both* occurrences of the phrase "Haneros Halalu". They - and also the Rosh on Gemara Shabbos 2:10 (as explained by Elia Rabbah 676:8) - give the following as the exact text:  (I have added punctuation and word count on my own.)

1-6    Haneros halalu anu madlikin al hateshuos v'al hanisim
7-13   v'al haniflaos she'asiSa laavoseinu al y'dei kohaneCha
14-18  hakedoshim. V'chol shmonas y'mei Chanuka haneros halalu
19-26  kodesh, v'ain lanu reshus l'hishtamesh bahen ela lirosan
27-33  bilvad, k'dei l'hodos l'ShimCha al niflaoseCha v'al
34-36  niseCha v'al y'shuoseCha.

The above text also appears in Siddur Avodas Yisroel (Baer-Roesdelheim) with minor grammatical differences.

It is found *almost* verbatim in Tur 676 (he adds the word "hen" near the middle) and Aruch Hashulchan 676:8 (he adds the word "hem" and makes minor grammatical changes). Hagahos Maimonios Chanuka 3:2 has changes in both grammar and vocabulary, but has exactly 36 words if we exclude the "Haneros halalu" at the beginning and the "haneros ha'aylu" in the middle.

The 36-word count is mentioned in Taz 676:5, Magen Avraham 676:3, Baer Hetev 676:3, Mishna Brura 676:8, Shaar Hatziyun 676:13, Eliah Rabbah 676:8, and the Ben Ish Chai Hilchot Chanukah siman 1.

(This disparity between the poskim and the siddurim has long been a pet peeve of mine. I thought I had posted these notes to Avodah in previous years, but (via Google) I was only able to find passing references. That's why I chose this occasion to post those notes in length.)

Akiva Miller