[Avodah] OU bitul policy

martin brody martinlbrody at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 21:45:20 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:
> No, it isn't.  That's the difference between the "approved" and
> "certified" models.  If the goy is seeking our certification before
> he manufactures the product, then he is making it for our benefit,
> and giving him the OK to mix it is the same as mixing it ourselves.
> Whereas if he is making it for his own purposes, and is merely doing
> us a favour by disclosing to us after the event what he put in it,
> then it's bediavad.

I think there may be some disagreement on this. To me, the agency is
being asked to certify that a product is kosher despite the presence
of bitul. You would(I presume) agree that it is kosher , but not if
it's lechatchila. Surely R,Moshe Feinstein would know that? Why bother
to tell the OU not to do it as a matter of policy?

Martin Brody