[Avodah] OU bitul policy

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Dec 15 13:27:43 PST 2011

On 15/12/2011 4:16 PM, martin brody wrote:
>> No, they could not, because it would be tantamount to bittul issur
>> lechatchila.

> If it is already in there, it's Bdievad (however that's spelled!)

No, it isn't.  That's the difference between the "approved" and
"certified" models.  If the goy is seeking our certification before
he manufactures the product, then he is making it for our benefit,
and giving him the OK to mix it is the same as mixing it ourselves.
Whereas if he is making it for his own purposes, and is merely doing
us a favour by disclosing to us after the event what he put in it,
then it's bediavad.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion