[Avodah] tzitz eliezeer.....

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 12 12:25:37 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 02:09:31PM -0800, Harvey Benton wrote:
: from halacha.net,
:>                                                            Rav Eliezer
:> Waldenberg, shlit"a, in Responsa Tzitiz Eliezer (vol 11, no.17) writes
:> among other reasons that since a minor is also Rabbinically obligated
:> in mitzvot, we do not make a distinction between this obligation and
:> the Torah obligation, since this would appear to be a lack of respect
:> for the Rabbinic obligation.

: i don't have access to the tzitz eliezer, however, how can children be
: "obligated" to perform mitzvot (i was always taught, that the reason they
: say berachot, etc) is just to "train" them, and/or for chinuch purposes.

The mitzvah of chinukh could itself be the rabbinic obligation the TE
is speaking of.

But I was wondering... Turning 12 or 13 depends on a chazaqah to
approximate the age at which I child would grow 2 saaros. Meaning,
the whole concept of bar mitzvah is itself deRabbanan. Bar mitzvah is
for when the rabbanan require adulthood -- zimun, tefillah betzibur,
leining... When we need to determine adulthood deOraisa (eg geirus),
we do not rely on age alone.

Wouldn't this be an easier reason for saying that bar mitzvah isn't
a personal chag? One is merely celebrating reaching a chazaqah, not
the primary shiur.

Micha Berger                 Life is complex.
micha at aishdas.org                Decisions are complex.
http://www.aishdas.org               The Torah is complex.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                                - R' Binyamin Hecht