[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 8 15:47:21 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 12:02:52PM -0000, Chana Luntz wrote:
: And RMB replied:
:> 9 chanuyos (the non-qavua instance) is bitul berov. It's not a mixture
:> but the words "bitul" and even "taaroves" are still involved...

: Sorry, I was being a bit imprecise in explaining the distinction - but we do
: know there to be a distinction.  The Shulchan Aruch in Yoreh Deah siman
: 109:1 while discussing a case of bitul b'rov of three pieces that got mixed
: states that while eating each piece individually is fine, one person should
: not eat all three at once, and brings as a yesh omrim that one person should
: not eat all three even zeh achar zeh (the position the Rema holds to
: l'chatchila)...

It is a three way machloqes -- (a) you can't even them at all, (b) only zeh
achar zeh and (c) they may even be eaten bevas achas.

But I think the issue is in how we define rov and whether the
probabilities add if we rely on them in one maaseh, if we rely in them
altogether, or not add at all. Can mi'ut be undone through recombination,
and if so, how?

To my mind, the parallel case in taaroves would be subjecting the
mixture to a cenrafuge. Now, eg, the top of the mix has too much issur
for bitul. Does one thereby undo the bitul?

We were talking about consuming the approved-but-not-certified product. I
believe it's really a case of both probability AND taaroves. After all,
we aren't relying on bitul for a substance we know to be there, we are
relying on bitul in order to not have to know -- the issur is itself only
"present" as a mi'ut (or perhaps even ruba) deleisa leqaman.

Micha Berger             If you're going through hell
micha at aishdas.org        keep going.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Winston Churchill
Fax: (270) 514-1507