[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Dec 6 05:18:28 PST 2011

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> 9 chanuyos (the non-qavua instance) is bitul berov. It's not a
> mixture but the words "bitul" and even "taaroves" are still
> involved. We could make a second chiluq between bitulim -- maybe
> even if you say that bitul in a mixture avoids timtum haleiv,
> that bitul beruba de'iqah leqaman does not.

I certainly agree that the two cases are not identical. In one case, the issur has been diluted to the point where it can be ignored, and in the other, the Torah allow us to gamble, wagering on the most probable identity.

Phrased in these terms, I think what RMB is suggesting is that in a taaroves, the timtum is negligible, but in the 9 chanuyos, does one really want to gamble, given that there is a possibility that this piece is 100% treif? -- But if so, I would seriously ask the question in the reverse: If one eats the piece of non-qavua he has a 90% chance of eating no timtum whatsoever, but if he eats the taaroves he will most certainly consume a miniscule amount of timtum.

"As their faces differ, so do their personalities," and I can easily see where varying people might worry about either case more or less than the other.

Akiva Miller