[Avodah] Giving Tzedaka At Night

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 7 08:26:35 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 09:40:07AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> From http://revach.net/article.php?id=745
> Btzel HaChochma: Giving Tzedaka At Night

> It is written in the name of the Arizal that we don't give tzedoka at
> night....
> Nighttime is a time of Din and since tzedoka is an act of Chesed its
> appropriate time is during the day....

Why is tzedaqah associated with chesed? I would think that it's
"tzedaqah", ie tzedeq, din.

As for:
>        If so asks the Btzel HaChochma (5:143), it is a Mitzvas Aseh
> SheHazman Grama, a time dependent mitzva and women should be exempt...
>        Nevertheless if a poor person asks for money at night you are
> certainly obligated to give him and are not exempt even according to the
> Arizal.

Peshitah!

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner