[Avodah] Katzav goes to prison

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 07:53:36 PST 2011

Former Israeli president goes went to prison today.

This even has halachic aspects. I am giving some shiurim on mesirah mainly
based on the article of R Broyde (other material is welcome).
One of the objections to mesirah in modern days is the claim that prisons
are a dangeous place with much violence from inmates and even the guards.
Katzav went to the Maasiya prison. This prison has a religious section
without TV and with a nice library of seforim. One can even get the
hechsher of the Badatz. His cell-mate will be Beb-Izri a former Shas
knesset member. In short a relatively nice place where one can become a
nice kollelnik without violence. As such I would assume that in Israel
mesirah for white collar crimes would be permitted (mesirah for a violent
crime is usually permitted by all poskim to protect society).

Though the article of R. Broyde quoted alarning statistics of the chance of
an inmate being violated it did not distinguish between prisons. I assume
that in the US there are also separate prisons, or sections, for violent
and white collar crimes.

--
Eli Turkel