[Avodah] Halachic guidlines for kashrut

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Mon Nov 28 12:37:57 PST 2011

When I lived in Northern California, where getting kosher food was a
challenge (it was an hour and a quarter each way to Molly Stone's in
Palo Alto, where we could get kosher cheese), we were told that we could
rely on Triangle-K.  When we moved to Chicago, where you trip over
kosher marts, we were told that Triangle-K isn't up to community standards.

There are basic standards of kashrut, which are community based, and
there are kulot and chumrot.  Ultimately, we are not Karaites, and we
aren't Talmudites or Rambamites or ShulchanAruchites.  Torah she'b'al
peh means that the Torah comes to us through rabbis who have the
authority to make rulings.  It does not come to use via books where we
can always look things up ourselves.  That would reduce the Torah to a
non-living Torah, subject to the interpretation of every Tom, Dick and
Shlomo who can read.

That's frustrating for a lot of people, particularly people in the
modern world, where personal empowerment is such a high value.  (I can't
say that I feel all that comfortable with the idea of community
standards standing in the way of my eating Fritos, particularly when
many would say that I'm not up to community standards myself.)

But that's the way it is.  If you (general you; not R' Martin in
particular) disagree with the way in which the halakha is being
determined in your community, you can leave that community, or you can
learn to the point where you are involved in the decision making.  What
you *can't* do is say that your understanding of this or that sefer
overrides the decisions of those with the authority to decide the halakha.

Lisa