[Avodah] reality

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Mon Nov 28 13:03:32 PST 2011

RMB:

<<Which the Maharal meant, IMHO, depends on is how events in higher
olamos are connected to ones in ours.>>

While there are hints of "higher olamos" much earlier than the Ari (cf.
Iyov 1:6-12), I don't think the concept was of much importance to the
Maharal (he was born before and died after the Ari, but I don't know of
any evidence that he read R. Hayyim Vital's works).  I don't think this
question is one that fits neatly into the Maharal's world view.

I explained the Maharal's view of what Hazal were talking about when
they discussed science in an earlier post.  Neither "real world" nor
"reality as we are able to experience it directly" are accurate
descriptions.

Consider the example (the source is in a previous post) of Hazal's list
of sins which induce solar eclipses.  The Maharal explains that Hazal
knew perfectly well that solar eclipses can be predicted, and are
explained by astronomical phenomena.  What they meant was that God
designed human nature and the stellar bodies in parallel: the ability to
have solar eclipses and the ability to commit those certain sins are
parallel capacities.  I can't imagine how to fit that example into
either of your descriptions.

Incidentally, the Maharal cites the pasuk "v'chofrah halevanah ubosha
hahama" (Is. 24:23) to demonstrate that the same capacity can parallel
something entirely different in eschatalogical time.

I suspect you were thinking of an entirely different type of example.
It might be helpful if you mention it explicitly.

David Riceman