[Avodah] Change Has Come To Modena

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Nov 9 12:53:49 PST 2011

At 03:36 PM 11/9/2011, D&E-H Bannett wrote:
>The only R' Yehiel Mikhl Epstein I knew of is the author of the
>Arukh Hashulchan who was born in 1829.
>
>I didn't think he had anything to do with the Kitzur Ha-shlah in 1683.
>So I looked and found another Y.M. Epstein (with an 'ayyin, not an
>alef) mi-Brisk who lived in the 1600's.  Seder Hadorot lists him as
>author of Kitzur Hash'lah.
>
>He was the son-in-law of the Ba'al Hal'vushim R' Mordekhai Yoffe so
>I am surprised to find he was a follower of Shabbetai Tzvi.
>Shabbetai lived in the late 1600's so the timing is more or less
>right.  Interesting.
>

>David

Shabbatai Tzvi lived from 1626 to 1676.

It is hard for people today to realize that the ST messianic movement
swept most of Jewry at the time and had many followers, both among
the "common people" and the rabbonim.  At the end of my article
Recife - The First Jewish Community In The New
World  (http://www.jewishpress.com/pageroute.do/19153) I wrote,
"After finishing this article I discovered that Rabbi Isaac Aboab da
Fonseca was apparently a follower of Shabbtai Tzvi. (See
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/344-aboab#anchor9 , The
Sabbatean Prophets by Matt Goldish page 33, and Sabbatai Sevi by
Gershom Scholem, pages 520-522.) To put it mildly, I was shocked,
given the greatness of Rabbi Aboab. However, it made me realize how
strong the messianic movement in the 17th century must have been to
gain adherents of Rabbi Aboab`s caliber."