[Avodah] Change Has Come To Modena

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Wed Nov 9 12:36:54 PST 2011

The only R' Yehiel Mikhl Epstein I knew of is the author of
the Arukh Hashulchan who was born in 1829.

I didn't think he had anything to do with the Kitzur
Ha-shlah in 1683.
So I looked and found another Y.M. Epstein (with an 'ayyin,
not an alef) mi-Brisk who lived in the 1600's.  Seder
Hadorot lists him as author of Kitzur Hash'lah.

He was the son-in-law of the Ba'al Hal'vushim R' Mordekhai
Yoffe so I am surprised to find he was a follower of
Shabbetai Tzvi. Shabbetai lived in the late 1600's so the
timing is more or less right.  Interesting.

David