[Avodah] other inyanim (like buddhism)-nirvana??

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Nov 9 04:49:27 PST 2011

R' Harvey Benton asked:
> they hold we have gilgulim (and we do as well) perhaps thier
> exact numbers of gilgwhat does buddism expound and is it
> azara??
> do other cultures (???) have the same name(s) as we do for
> shamayim (or olam haba?) or karma [like midah k'neged
> midah? that are posibly valid expressions of the same thing??
> eg (if gilgulim (in thier opinion(s)are not the same as ours,
> but if they have the same basic inyanim and outlook, do we
> and/or should we have a problem with tehm?????

There are many such things which are common to many religions. My approach is to ignore them.

I have nothing to gain from them, because there is no presumption that they are correct. Their views on these things are not rooted in Torah, so why should I care what they understand the afterlife to be like?

I also do not go out of my way to reject them, because it distracts me from my *real* problem with such religions, which is their belief in multiple gods, or no gods, or some other form of avodah zara.

(I have found some rabbis who like to find some practice or belief of another religion, and pounce on it and make fun of it. I generally refrain from participating in such taunts, because they tend to take an overly-superficial view of the practice or belief that they're making fun of. In my view, this greatly lessens the credibility of that rabbi, because so many of our own practices and beliefs can also be made fun of, if one takes an overly-superficial view of them. Woe to the one who uses a weapon that can be turned against him.)

Thus, I just ignore what other religions say about these things, and get back to learning Torah.

Akiva Miller