[Avodah] Is there any issur here al pi halacha?--selling/buying of kidneys

Joseph Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Thu Nov 3 18:44:42 PDT 2011

R'n TK: "If a much larger pool of kidneys becomes available I don't know how or why
the poor person would be any worse off than he is now. <snip>  I bet you could get a lot of people to donate a kidney for the cost of a
single week in the ICU of an American hospital."

That's a big "if" and a non slam dunk "bet."  I asked earlier if anyone had any knowledge with respect to the argument of those involved in transplants that paying donors would not increase transplants.  The only response was from RMYG cited to a study that supported that arguments.  While some have argued that the study was about blood donation and not transplants, no one has come up with any factual, as opposed to intuitive, argument that they're wrong.  So, as I said, it's a big "if." But, assuming, arguendo, that the "if" is correct, then I would agree that donors should get some compensation.  but even that doesn't meant that we should allow organs to be sold to the highest bidder.  Perhaps certain government compensation could be given (tax credits, early admission or free admission to Medicare etc.) so the number of donors would increase but the concept (which I believe -- no proof, just believe -- is the most ethical) that those who need the organ most from a medical standpoint rather than richest would continue.

Joseph Kaplan