[Avodah] Well, we are back to the achbor shechetsyo basarvechetsyo, adama in the daf yomi (hankman)

Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:49:33 PDT 2011

RMB: The natural philosophy of the day taught that such an animal
existed. Chazal applied halakhah to that case. But they don't assert the
case is real, they take that for granted.

CM responded: ...Yeti...a Saskwatch ... a Unicorn ...Nessie ... I am not
sure why even in those days a mouse made half of basar and half of adama
was not at least in the same class as these.... Besides when you ponder
creatures you have never seen, but only heard about in legend or tales
from travellers (who want to write a book), there is very little info
and fact of the sort you need to base halacha on. ...
Relevant to both comments:

Rambam in Perush ha'Mishnayos (Chulin) writes, "This is a well-known
matter; there is no end to the number of people who have told me that
they have seen it. Such a thing is indeed astonishing, and I have no
explanation for it."