[Avodah] To Stand or Not to Stand for a Chosson and Kallah

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Nov 1 17:53:57 PDT 2011

On 1/11/2011 8:41 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 06:20:20PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> On 1/11/2011 6:04 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>>> Why is it that everyone stands for the chasan and kallah at a wedding,
>>> but so few of us have a minhag to stand for Lekha Dodi? There we have
>>> a kalah, and in some nusachos, she is identified with "Shabbas Malkesa".
>
>> Surely everyone stands at least for the last verse, where she's welcomed
>> in.
>
> But if you stand for a regular kallah, why not for an idiomatic kallah
> who is explicitly called a malkesa? She is the same kalah/malkesah in
> the first verse as when we explicitly say do on the first.

But when is she metaphorically making her "entrance"?

BTW, L minhag is to stand for the whole thing, so your question doesn't
start; but here I'm answering why most people don't.

>>> (I just noticed the femanine form, as opposed to the girsa in shas
>>> we discussed in the past that had "Shabbos Malka", with an alef, in the
>>> masculine.)
>
>> That's because it's based on kabalah.
>
> Are you okay saying the gemara is inconsistent with qabbalah? I find
> that a surprising thing for a chassid to be comfortable with.

In the gemara's time kabala was strictly for the yechidei segulah.
One can see some hints to it if one looks hard enough, or things that
make sense if you realise that the authors were familiar with kabala,
but it was not to be taught to the public, so there's not going to be
anything explicit.  And al pi nigleh, a king is more important, so it's
better to compare Shabbos to that.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will