[Avodah] To Stand or Not to Stand for a Chosson and Kallah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 1 17:41:02 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 06:20:20PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 1/11/2011 6:04 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
>> Why is it that everyone stands for the chasan and kallah at a wedding,
>> but so few of us have a minhag to stand for Lekha Dodi? There we have
>> a kalah, and in some nusachos, she is identified with "Shabbas Malkesa".

> Surely everyone stands at least for the last verse, where she's welcomed
> in.

But if you stand for a regular kallah, why not for an idiomatic kallah
who is explicitly called a malkesa? She is the same kalah/malkesah in
the first verse as when we explicitly say do on the first.

>> (I just noticed the femanine form, as opposed to the girsa in shas
>> we discussed in the past that had "Shabbos Malka", with an alef, in the
>> masculine.)

> That's because it's based on kabalah.

Are you okay saying the gemara is inconsistent with qabbalah? I find
that a surprising thing for a chassid to be comfortable with. Or does
the qabbalah indicate the gemara originally was "malkah" with a hei?

Micha Berger             It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
micha at aishdas.org        with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
http://www.aishdas.org   Kippur with that intent.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter