[Avodah] To Stand or Not to Stand for a Chosson and Kallah

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:43:48 PDT 2011

R' MB:
REMT and RSM also noted here a while back that originally people sat
when the chasan and kallah came in. Admittedly, we can view that as a
transition period, not long enough to define a minhag. I don't know.

However, li nir'eh that now that it's de rigeur, and people associated it
with "chasan domeh lemelekh", refraining from standing makes a statement,
not joining in on the hanhagah. It seems to be a trivial way to contribute
to simchas chasan vekallah. So why not?
---------------

"Why not" would be because of Chukos Hagoyim. That said, another reason I
heard (and I think I posted it last time this came up), is that we stand
before people who are doing a mitzvah. The chosson and kallah are coming to
do the mitzvos (to link to a recent thread) of Ki Yikach Ish Ishah and
Piryah V'rivyah, so we stand in their honor.

KT,
MYG

P.S. The source for standing up before people who are doing a mitzvah slips
my mind; however, I think it's pretty much mefurash somewhere. Does anyone
remember?