[Avodah] More Tzaar

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 27 10:31:51 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 01:20:55PM -0400, David Riceman wrote:
> I read the story over Yom Tov, and I think you miss the point
> completely....
> R. Moshe's opinion was that everyone agrees that tza'ar is not a ptur on
> the first night of Sukkos (for the first kezayis).   The only question
> is whether a sukka loses the shem sukka during the rain...

Yes, that was RMS's point.

However, lemaaseh, he did wake up his son. So, along the way we have
enough information to deduce something other than RMS's point. The future
RYBS was wrong -- being asleep and requiring waking isn't the kind of
tza'ar included by mitzta'er patur min hasukkah.

If it were patur min hasukkah, RMS wouldn't have had to force his son
to show up, even if the booth while being a rained upon isn't a halachic
sukkah.