[Avodah] More Tzaar

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Thu Oct 27 10:20:55 PDT 2011

RMB:

<<That's like the story RYBS told of his childhood, which I posted two
weeks ago at <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol28/v28n208.shtml#12>,
when RDR asked about the tza'ar of getting to the Sukkah with his dishes
in food recently after arm surgery. It seems from R' Moshe
Soloveitchik's answer to his son, mitzta'er is only when the tza'ar is
inherent in using the Sukkah, and not in getting there.>>

I read the story over Yom Tov, and I think you miss the point
completely.  R Moshe made kiddush and ate the first kezayis in the sukka
during the rain, and then he woke his kids after the rain stopped.

R. Moshe's opinion was that everyone agrees that tza'ar is not a ptur on
the first night of Sukkos (for the first kezayis).   The only question
is whether a sukka loses the shem sukka during the rain.  If it does
then you haven't fulfilled the mitzva of achilas kezayis b'sukka
balayalah rishonah even if you ate there (Har'rei Kedem, vol. 1 p. 231).

I don't see how this provides evidence for your point.

David Riceman