[Avodah] mikva use

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:30:53 PDT 2011

R' SZN:
> 1. who should control who is allowed to toivel?

Whoever owns the mikvah de facto controls who is allowed to toivel. Since,
IIANM, the Mikvaos are paid for by the government, they can control it,
disregarding Halachah and Minhag Yisroel at their discretion. So any
communities bothered (rightly so) by this, should, I think, build their
own, private, mikvaos.

In other words, this is part of the problem that religious Jews have in
Eretz Yisroel, where church and state are not separated.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 06:59:58PM +0200, Goldmeier Family wrote:
> what exactly is the issur of pre-marital sex if the nidda issue is
> resolved by allowing single women to use the mikva?

R' MB:
> Lo sihyeh qedeishah. (Devarim 23:18; ShM lav 365)

> The Behag counts "umal'ah ha'aretz zimah" as a 2nd lav. The Rambam
> and Ramban hold it's lehalakhah but part of "lo sihyeh qedeishah".
> Rashi appears to treat it like mussar.

Also, being mevatel the Mitzvas Asei of Ki Yikach Ish Ishah U'va
Aleha - that Biah needs to be Al Yedei Kiddushin. According to
the Raavad, Lo Sihyeh Kedeishah might not apply, depending on the
nature of the relationship (i.e., I can see that his definition
of Pilegesh might fit what many today consider a "traditional"
boyfriend-girlfriend-living-together relationship. Only problem with
that is that, as R' MB said, you run into a big problem when they separate
without a Get. Or if she cheats).

KT,
MYG