[Avodah] mikva use

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Oct 25 14:25:02 PDT 2011

On 25/10/2011 11:08 AM, Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org wrote:

> _http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4135447,00.html_
> 1. who should control who is allowed to toivel?
> 2. would it be better to allow mikva use t remove nidda issues even if other issurim will transpire as a result ?
>
> [is the answer to no 1 somewhat different , since the mikva is a publicly paid-for institution? }

A mikveh is a religious institution, not a secular bath-house.  Halacha
requires the community to provide it for its proper use al pi halacha,
not for general amusement.  And since there is a takanah against tevilah
for single women, it follows that it's appropriate for the mikveh lady
to enforce this.  In Israel the Chief Rabbi has instructed all community
rabbanim to ensure that the public mikva'ot do not allow single women in,
and this seems to me entirely appropriate.  For the minister to interfere
in a matter of a psak halacha seems a chutzpah, and perhaps even something
that must be resisted at all cost.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will