[Avodah] When Was The World Created - When do we say Birchas HaChama

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 11 09:29:38 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:42:07PM +1100, Meir Rabi wrote:
: So, if the world is created on RH or on RCh Nissan, why is the timing of
: Bichas HaChama, apparently not synchronised with this benchmark?

The gemara's machloqes (RH 10b-11a) is between R' Yehoshua and R'
Eliezer, and the rule is to hold like R' Yehoshua -- the world was
created in Nissan.

Tosafos (RH 27a "keman matzlinan") has R' Tam saying that the world was
beMachashavah in Tishrei, and this is "zeh hayom techilas maasekha". This
is the beri'ah where "alah beMachashavah livros shenayim, ulevasof lo
nivra ela [adam] echad" (contrasting Gen 1 & 2, Eiruvin 18a). Then the
actual maaseh was in Nissan.

The words "hayom haras olam" could well mean that the gestation period
of a world is 6 months. "Haras olam" was in Tishrei, but the yelidah
was in Nissan.

Thinking as I type this it hits me... this implies that according to RT,
the sheishes yemei bereishis are beMachashavah, just like the "zakhar
unqeivah bara osam" that he holds was the "alah beMachashavah". This
could accord with the Rambam in the Moreh 2:30, which says the days are
6 steps of logical implications, not causality and time.

Micha Berger             Friendship is like stone. A stone has no value,
micha at aishdas.org        but by rubbing one stone against another,
http://www.aishdas.org   sparks of fire emerge.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  - Rav Mordechai of Lechovitz