[Avodah] rules

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 11 08:44:32 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:24:53AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> There are rules of warfare other than not cutting down fruit trees.  A
> book was published recently called Torat HaMelech which apparently deals
> with those subjects, many of which are far from politically correct.
> The book has not been translated into English, so far as I'm aware.

OTOH, there is another sefer, one that has the advantage of not being
R' Aharon Lichtenstein and the other RY and Ramim of YHE and numerous
other yeshivos hesder, which is available in print or as a free PDF
hosted on Google Docs.

Given the heat it generated, the problem is far worse than PC-ness,
it's considered by these rabbanim to be halachically wrong in ways that
would have people killed.

Anyway, see <http://bit.ly/derechHamelech>, Derekh haMelekh by R'
Ariel Finkelstein, pgs 93-142 are a conscious rebuttal to Torat
haMelekh.

Both books focus on the halakhos of killing, rodef, non-combatants, etc...

More along the same lines as bal tashchis, there is the chiyuv to dig
latrines, the laws of eishes yefas to'ar. Can anyone think of more?

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964