[Avodah] Question for Gerim or those who teach them

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Oct 10 11:00:03 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 10:19 AM, Chana Luntz wrote:
> When somebody is becoming a ger, ie in the period between having decided
> to pursue conversion, and the actual mila/tevila, is one encouraged/taught to:
>
> a) Notsay brochos (while presumably being taught when to and what to say
> in preparation for the occurrence of the conversion)?
>
> b) Say brochos without shem and malchus?
>
> c) Say brochosin their entirety(presumably mishum chinuch)?
>
> Is a distinction made between  brochos over mitzvos and other forms of
> brocha (ie nehnin, shevach)?  How about matters such as Kiddush and
> havdala?

Behashgacha pratit as I read this there is a ger in the room with me,
so I asked him.  He was taught to say all the brachot exactly as he
would say them after.   As far as kiddush and havdalah, he would hear
them from other people.

Legufo shel inyan, I can see why you would have a question about birkot
hamitzvot, but I don't understand why birchot hanehenin or shevach would
even be a question; even if a nochri has no intention of converting, why
should he not say brachot?  Surely he too is obligated to thank and
praise Hashem for all the good that He does.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will