[Avodah] Malachim & mistakes

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Oct 7 09:11:12 PDT 2011

At 11:02 AM 10/7/2011, R. Micha wrote:

>Too much of today's "hashkafah" books reduce Yahadus to self help. You
>can have the happiness you seek through Torah. The Torah will teach you
>how to be the parent you want to be, or be the person you want to be.
There is an attitude that one often hears today, "Everything is in
the Torah."  When I hear someone say this, I ask, "Where do you find
the Pythagorean Theorem in the Torah?"  This is always met with silence.

We are told that there is Chochma amongst the gentiles, but they do
not have Torah.  If so, then Chochma, it seems to me, is not Torah
and hence not in the Torah.  Therefore, it seems to me that
everything is not to be found in the Torah.  YL