[Avodah] national flag???

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Oct 6 07:29:29 PDT 2011

On 6/10/2011 10:24 AM, Lisa Liel wrote:
> I'm not sure why you're so convinced that flags didn't exist at the time.  I mean, I've heard arguments that say Pharaoh couldn't have had horses and chariots because they hadn't been invented yet.  That camels hadn't been domesticated at the time of Avraham Avinu.  But those are only generalizations.  There could have been some domestication of camels that wasn't widespread.  And there could have been flags that weren't a common thing either.  How do you prove a negative, after all?

It's possible.  But AFAIK flags were unknown in Chazal's day, or at any
time in the 1st millennium CE.  They were invented, together with modern
heraldry, in the early 2nd millennium.  So if they existed in Biblical
times they were then forgotten and reinvented.  Which is possible.  And
the pasuk RMB quoted from Yechezkel seems to suggest such a thing.

--
Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment
zev at sero.name   the Oslo Accord will be annulled and the IDF will