[Avodah] national flag???

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Thu Oct 6 07:24:06 PDT 2011

On 10/6/2011 6:30 AM, Zev Sero wrote:
> On 5/10/2011 10:14 PM, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> As I understand it, the word "nes" means pretty much what a flag is.
>
> It's probably something that serves the same purpose for which flags were
> invented, but it can't mean a flag, unless they're a technology that was
> lost and rediscovered.   Chazal seem to have thought it meant a standard,
> which was an invention known in their day, but perhaps not in David's; I
> don't know.

I'm not sure why you're so convinced that flags didn't exist at the
time.  I mean, I've heard arguments that say Pharaoh couldn't have had
horses and chariots because they hadn't been invented yet.  That camels
hadn't been domesticated at the time of Avraham Avinu.  But those are
only generalizations.  There could have been some domestication of
camels that wasn't widespread.  And there could have been flags that
weren't a common thing either.  How do you prove a negative, after all?

Lisa