[Avodah] Brisker Chumeros and Shammuti Chumeros

Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 06:32:32 PDT 2011

> AIUI, the takana of doing all three versions is not out of concern
> that only one of them is right, but just the opposite, to show that
> they're*all*  right, and that those who do any one of them are yotze.
> (I don't remember the source for this; something in the back of my mind
> seems to be faintly whispering "Rav Hai Gaon".)
Rambam (Hilchos Shofar 3:2) says the first way, and yes, Rav Hai Gaon
had said the second way (Teshuvos), followed by Rabbeynu Nissim on Ryf,
Rosh Hashonna 34a. The Ritva also offers an explanation that does not
resort, as the Rambam does, to saying that the original authentic way of
shofar-blowing was lost.

Zvi Lampel