[Avodah] Kategor and Sanegor

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 3 10:49:59 PDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 02:10:37PM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: We may have borrowed Greek terms but we don't mean exactly the same
: things by them. It has always been my impression that the kategor and
: sanegor are not lawyers, but witnesses, for the prosecution and for the
: defense...

The kohein gadol doesn't do the avodah in the qodesh haqadashim
in the full 8 begadim because gold was used in the parah adumah, and
"ein qateigor naaseh saneigor". Similarly, this reasoning is one of
the problems with using a cow's horn for shofar. But WRT eidus, yes --
witnesses brought by one to'ein can bring testimony that helps the
other to'ein.

Do we have witnesses for the prosecution or for the defense, or just stam
people who were there? Even if the defense finds eidim that support his
side and pushes them to come, they still aren't "for the defense". I'm
inclined to think this concept isn't part of beis din's judicial process
either.

GCT!

Micha Berger             "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
micha at aishdas.org        exactly the right measure of himself,  and
http://www.aishdas.org   holds a just balance between what he can
Fax: (270) 514-1507      acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham