[Avodah] Star-K bitul policy

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Dec 22 18:02:16 PST 2011

I was just now reading about medicines on the Star-K website, and I discovered that they too make a distinction between "certified" and "approved".

At http://www.star-k.org/cons-appr-medicine.htm you can find list of the medications that the Star-K certifies and approves, but that is not really relevant to this discussion. Much more relevant is http://www.star-k.org/medicineexp.htm which provides a short explanation of where they allow bitul in the approved products.

Their decision-making on these products is legitimately influenced by the fact that these are medicines and not foods, and so the rules they use here are not directly applicable to regular foods. But I am posting this anyway, so that those who are familiar with the relevant halachos can see how they are applied, at least in this area. For example, they will consider flavorings as batel for medicines, even though they would not be that lenient on regular food. But on the other hand, they will not accept emulsifiers or carmine as batel, even for medicines. Please see that page for more examples.

Akiva Miller