[Avodah] Singular Kaddish = Incessant Bickering? Time For Another Look

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Dec 19 01:21:57 PST 2011

 From http://bit.ly/tt5T2I

In previous posts
(especially<http://treasuresofashkenaz.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/the-development-of-%D7%A7%D7%93%D7%99%D7%A9-%D7%99%D7%AA%D7%95%D7%9D-part-ii-recent-developments/>
this one),  we have discussed the old minhog that only one person
recites kaddish at a time, and how, in the modern era (circa the last
two centuries), many congregations abandoned it, and adopted a
different practice in which basically was 'deregulated', with
preferences and limitations removed, under questionable
circumstances. The posts engendered much attention and interest. This
new, French revolution influenced, laissez-faire kaddish practice,
was thought by some to be a panacea, offering great benefits, with
little or no cost.

Time and experience, however, have shown us, that the new way was not
an unalloyed boon, and has cost us dearly in terms of decline in
quality of the kaddish experience. Essentially, we traded higher
quality of kaddish recitation for higher quantity of same. Now that
many decades and generations have passed, with the wisdom endowed by
time and experience, it seems only logical and fair that we take a
second look, and reassess the changes that were made. Were they
really necessary? Should they be left in place? Or perhaps we should
consider
<http://treasuresofashkenaz.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/reverting-vs-converting-the-halachic-basis-for-returning-to-lost-minhogim-%D7%9C%D7%94%D7%97%D7%96%D7%99%D7%A8-%D7%A2%D7%98%D7%A8%D7%94-%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A0%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%A2%D7%A0/>reverting,
returning to the way of kaddish recitation of our
ancestors,<http://treasuresofashkenaz.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/the-singular-way-of-saying-kaddish-how-to-make-kaddish-more-meaningful-powerful-effective-and-historically-correct/>
the singular kaddish.

See the above URL for the rest of this article. YL