[Avodah] mumar by r. steinmetz and mekoros

Harvey Benton harvw613 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 15:50:56 PST 2011

how do we define a mumar nowadays??
are they or should they be put in cherem?
what would the rambam say about them

[Email #2. -micha]

These rules relate to specific objects acquired in disreputable ways, and
whether they can be used as sacred objects. However, there is a second
issue: accepting money from a "mumar", a habitual sinner. The Talmud
states that we do not accept sacrifices from a "mumar" (Hullin 5b). (The
definition of a "mumar" in this context is complex. Some say it refers
to fundamentally immoral people who reject any sort of moral authority,
while others say it includes any habitual sinner. See Yabiah Omer 1:YD 11)
It may be that the "mumar" is excluded from giving a sacrifice because we
assume he is doing this for ulterior motives (see Orchot Chaim II page
442) or because we view the money of a "mumar" to be tainted (see Sefer
Chasidim no. 938; cf. no. 687) Some apply this rule to include all types
of charity, and say that we must always refuse the money of a "mumar"
(Rama, OH 154:1; YD 254:2). Others distinguish between ritual objects,
such as items used in a synagogue, which because of their inherent
holiness cannot be donated by a "mumar", and charity that is distributed
to the poor, which can be donated by a "mumar"(see Chatam Sofer, comment
to Magen Avraham OH 154:18). Others limit this rule to sacrifices,
and allow a "mumar" to give any type of charity (Shach YD 254:5; Magen
Avraham OH 154:18). Indeed, some argue that charity should be accepted
from all types of people, because it is importa

hmz