[Avodah] Ceremonies in Judaism

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Nov 25 10:26:02 PST 2011

RYBS famously asserted on numerous occasions that there is no "ceremony"
in Judaism, no empty sentimentality. Eg he mentions this as an example of
the "foolishness and narrishkeit" one can find in kiruv publiscations -
the sparkling candlelabra, the snow-white Shabbos tablecloth. "Is this
true Judaism? You cannot imbue real and basic Judaism by utilizing cheap
sentimentalism and stressing empty ceremonies. Whoever attempts such an
approach underestimates the intelligence of the American Jew.... The only
proper course is that of Ezekiel's program for the priests: "And they
shall teach My people the difference between the holy and the common,
and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean." (44:23)
[Quoted from RARR's book "The Rav", vol II, pg 54; which in turn is a
translation of RYBS's Yiddish lecture of 5/18/1955 "The Role of the
Rabbi", given to the YU Rabbinic Alumni.)

RYBS's need for everything to be halachic is also the basis of his
assumption that even minhagim must follow a halachic model. Eg the
observances of Omer and the 3 Weeks must follow the forms of a halachic
aveilus period.

In the past, I contrasted this to his uncle's position. The Brisker Rav
holds that Ashkenazim make berakhos on minhagim that have the matbeia of
a mitzvah, and not on those that do not. IOW, the BR speaks of minhagim
RYBS would concider ceremonial, saying that those minhagim to not get
berakhos even by an Ashk.

But a short while back, I encountered what appears to me to be a direct
contradiction to RYBS's position in the Y-mi. Yuma 2:1 (10b) we are told
that they held 4 separate lotteries to divide the avodah, "kedei laasos
pumpei bedavar", and again at 2:4 (13b), we are told that extra kohanim
were used to carry the ayil up the kevesh for the same reason.

Opening up http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=pomp we learn that
the English "pomp" is from the Greek meaning "solemn procession,
display".

So, "kedei laasos pumpei bedeavar" means that these things were
NOT halachic, and in fact practices done in the BHMQ only for their
ceremonial value.

Thus reinforcing my bias toward believing that not only are there
behavioral norms in interpersonal ethics and in ahavas and yir'as Hashem
that require at times choosing to go lifnim mishuras hadin, but rite
itself has its own calling not to do the minimum.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The thought of happiness that comes from outside
micha at aishdas.org        the person, brings him sadness. But realizing
http://www.aishdas.org   the value of one's will and the freedom brought
Fax: (270) 514-1507      by uplifting its, brings great joy. - R' Kook