[Avodah] making a minyan at a public gathering

Meir Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 14:16:24 PST 2011

A very good point made by R D Cohen;
making a minyan at a public gathering where lots of NJ onlookers might see
the "strange" practice that might not necessarily increase their respect
for the Torah, but it wouldn't actually get in anybody's way or disturb
anybody.

I suggest that it depends upon the message that is communicated. Making a
Minyan that causes inconvenience is a Ch HaShem simply because it
metaphorically spits on others - it says that we dont care what
inconvenience we cause, our concerns are more important than yours. I
assert that this is the defining guide for ChHaShem.
Making a Minyan where that message is not communicated is not a ChH. And in
between those two points is a large grey area that will certainly be hotly
debated pending the personalised reading of various onlookers.

--

Best,

Meir G. Rabi