[Avodah] The Pursuit of Truth: Thoughts on Parashat Lekh Lekha, November 5, 2011

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Nov 1 14:20:55 PDT 2011

 From http://www.jewishideas.org/print/783

By Rabbi Marc D. Angel

Some years ago, I had a conversation with a
Hassidic Jew who assured me that his Rebbe never
committed any sins. He stated with certainty that
his Rebbe was endowed with a grand and holy soul,
far superior to the soul of any other people.

When I pointed out to him that even Moses
committed sins, he flatly denied that this was
so. I reminded him that the Torah itself reports
Moses’s shortcomings. He said: You do not
understand the Torah! It is impossible that Moses
could have done anything wrong. He was perfect in every way.

The conversation came to an end, with both of us
unhappy with the result. He felt I did not
demonstrate enough faith in the perfection of
saintly personalities, and I felt he was guilty
of distorting the Torah’s words and distorting
the reality of the human condition.

This conversation came to mind recently when I
received an email from a colleague, in which he
included some important passages by Rabbi Samson
Raphael Hirsch. The comments related specifically
to stories reported in Parashat Lekh Lekha­but
Rabbi Hirsch’s point is of general relevance to
our study of Torah
and to our evaluation of saintly individuals.

The Torah relates various problematic narratives
about Abraham.  For example, when going to Egypt,
Abraham feared that the Egyptians would murder
him and take his wife Sarah. Abraham told Sarah
to say she was his sister, rather than his wife.
In spite of (or because of!) this deception,
Sarah was taken to Pharaoh. Abraham was given
rewards and he thrived in Egypt. When God
punished Pharaoh and when Pharaoh realized that
Sarah was really Abraham’s wife, Pharaoh
expressed outrage to Abraham over the deception.
Pharaoh expelled Abraham and Sarah, who left Pharaoh’s domain with much wealth.

This story surely does not cast Abraham in a good
light. He asked his wife to participate in a
deception. He let his wife be taken by the
Egyptians. He reaped financial rewards while his
wife was in captivity in Pharaoh’s house.

Rabbi Hirsch makes a profoundly important point:
“The Torah does not attempt to hide from us the
faults, errors and weaknesses of our great men,
and precisely thereby it places the stamp of
credibility upon the happenings it relates. The
fact that we are told about their faults and
weaknesses does not detract from our great men.
Indeed, it adds to their stature and makes their
life stories even more instructive. Had they all
been portrayed to us as models of perfection we
would have believed that they had been endowed
with a higher nature not give to us to attain.
Had they been presented to us free of human
passions and inner conflicts, their nature would
seem to us merely the result of a loftier
predisposition, not a product of their personal
merit, and certainly no model we could ever hope to emulate.”

Rabbi Hirsch goes on to say that “we must never
attempt to whitewash the spiritual and moral
heroes of our past. They are not in need of our
apologetics, nor would they tolerate such
attempts on our part. Truth is the seal of our
Word of God, and truthfulness is the distinctive
characteristic also of all its genuinely great teachers and commentators.”

Our great biblical heroes, as well as our great
spiritual heroes of all generations, were real
human beings, not plaster saints.  They had real
feelings, real conflicts. Many times they
performed admirably; on some occasions they fell
short.  To suggest that anyone is
“perfect”­totally devoid of sin and error­is to
misrepresent that person and to misrepresent truth.

There is a popular genre of “religious
literature” that presents biographies of biblical
and later religious luminaries as paragons of
virtue, totally devoid of sin and inner conflict.
In fact, such books are not authentic
biographies, because they describe their heroes
in an untruthful way. These personalities are
drawn in such superlative terms, that readers
will find it exceedingly difficult to identify with them or to emulate them.

There is an opposite tendency in some circles to
point to every flaw and sin of our spiritual
heroes, and to undermine their credibility as
religious models. Our prophets and teachers are
presented as though devoid of higher spiritual and moral qualities.

Just as it is false to overstate the perfection
of our heroes, so it is false to undervalue their
spiritual achievements. Rather, we must study
their lives honestly, recognizing that these are
remarkable individuals who reached great
heights­and who had to struggle mightily to
attain their levels of religious insight and
righteousness.  Their failings can be as instructive to us as their successes.

Just as Truth is the seal of the Word of God, so
is the pursuit of Truth the proper objective of
all students of Torah and Jewish tradition.