[Avodah] Rav Elyashiv - Where To Light The Candles For

hankman hankman at bell.net
Sun Oct 16 12:57:19 PDT 2011

RZS wrote:

I have a different situation: I have no sukkah, but I still have a
chiyuv of neirot yomtov. So I will light at home, and when I come home
I'll have a cup of tea by their light. (I don't eat outside the sukkah,
but I do drink if there isn't a sukkah within easy reach, and in any event
I have to balance the desirability of not drinking outside the sukkah with
the desirability of deriving hana'at achila from the neirot on which I made
a bracha. I make a similar cheshbon on Pesach, and when I come home from
the seder I have a drink by the light of my candles.)

CM comments:

This is not a ta’ane, I admire your zehirus, but nevertheless I find that the idea (as exemplary as it may be), a bit inverted. The neros are to increase oneg Shabbat and to enable activity by their light, rather than invent an extra activity in order to give purpose and reason for the light.

Kol Tuv

Chaim Manaster