[Avodah] kesubos 30a/ burning grain.....

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Mar 23 06:00:04 PDT 2011

R' Harvey Benton asked:
> In kesubos 30a there is a discussion in the gemmara if one is
> chayav for the grain if one (cv) burns a stack of grain on
> shabbas/yom kippur,since the person is chayav the greater
> punishment of mitah/kares, and thus pattur of the monetary
> chova for the grain. my question is, why would the owner of
> the grain have to lose out because of a chova/punishiment
> (chova of his life) to Hashem?

(The following is based on something that I only very vaguely recall from many years back, so it could be totally wrong.)

Your question is very logical. And therein lies the solution. Because this principle - that when a single act violates several prohibitions carrying varying different consequences, only the most severe consequence applies - is not logical, but is learned out from a pasuk. And therefore we follow it, even where logic would dictate otherwise.

Akiva Miller