[Avodah] Nisht Yoshon/Not Yoshon

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Mar 22 22:27:26 PDT 2011

From: "Prof. Levine" _llevine at stevens.edu_ (mailto:llevine at stevens.edu)

Today I bought a package of Meal Mart Amazing Meals Parve Baked Ziti  in
tomato sauce. When I got it home, I noticed that there is a label  on
the side that says in Yiddish "Nisht Yoshen" and in English "Not  Yoshen."

....After exchanging a few emails with Rabbi A. Teitlebaum who  supervises
this product along with the OU, he wrote " According the  information we
received, it is chodosh vadai, about your eating it, I can't  answer,"

Based on this I am going to return this product to the store. I  am not
makpid on Yoshon, but my understanding is that one is allowed to  eat
sofek Chodosh but not something that one knows for sure is Chodosh.
Am  I correct?

.....Based on all of this I really do not understand how Meal Mart  can
market a product that is known to be vadai Chodosh.

Yitzchok  Levine

Many hold that the prohibition of eating chadash does not apply in  chu'l.

A different question is, how they can print a label whose accuracy will be
undermined by the mere passage of time?  In a few weeks it will be  yoshon.
 (It will of course be Pesach by then and the ziti will still be  chometz
but....)

--Toby Katz